Google
 Subscribe in a readerAdd to Google Reader or HomepagePowered by FeedBurner

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Waking up for Benedict


I returned home at 9.30pm last night after 12 hrs shift feeling the toil of work. Was I glad that the children were already in the bedroom preparing to sleep with the lights off. After taking a quick shower and a superb pork-chop rice with home-cooked celery soup, I looked at what's available on TV1, TV2, TV3, nTV7 and 8tv. To my dismay, there weren't anything really interesting. At 11pm, I decided it was enough of boredom and it was time to catch up with sleep.

Sometime before dawn, I was awakened by cries coming from Benedict's room. It seemed to grow louder and sharper each time. I took a peek at Mommy and she seemed to be in deep sleep. I felt tempted to just stretch out my feet and give her a small 'signal' with my toes but I thought I'd better not. As I rolled out of bed Mommy mumbled something. I didn't quite get it and dragged my feet towards Benedict's room. It was really dark and I couldn't see much. "Good, he's still in his cot and he's not wet!", I mumbled to myself as I examined my 2 month old infant. "Probably hungry", I said. Oddly enough, he stopped crying upon seeing me.

I found the lights and quickly went to the kitchen to get his milk. 4 scoops milk powder to make 5 oz of milk. I swiftly spun everything together and checked the temperature and made my way back to his room. I took him up, placed him in my arms and slipped the nipple into his mouth. He wasn't interested and moved his head away. Again I looked and saw him smiling at me in the dimly lit room. I was getting a bit confused now that he didn't want his feed.

After a few pats with cradle-like rocking motion, he shut his eyes. It was a fulfilling experience to see him smile as he dozes off. I wanted to get back to bed badly but decided to hold on longer. I placed Benedict into his cot and continued patting him. After 5 minutes, I was back in bed and I told Mommy that he wasn't interested in drinking milk.

After 10 minutes, Benedict was crying again and I did what I didn't do earlier. The signals with my toes woke Mommy up and I can't remember the rest. Mommy took over and I continued with my recovery. I think Mommy breastfed him and that soothes the baby.

Interesting links:
Healthy Foods
Hidden Valley Ranch Recipes and Knorr Recipes
Child Nutrition Advise
Crying babies: What do you do?

No comments: