Google
 Subscribe in a readerAdd to Google Reader or HomepagePowered by FeedBurner

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Yellow, a dirty colour? Be BERSIH (Clean)



I have just finished my work at 5pm yesterdy when I turned on the radio for the news on Traxx FM. I was surprised that the news was interrupted by an announcement of the peaceful mass demonstration in Kuala Lumpur (KL). It was followed by an appeal to the public not to join in the demonstration as it could turn 'ugly'.



I remember accidentally accessing a blog encouraging the planned peaceful demonstration at Dataran Merdeka but didn't think much about it as I was working and did not have anymore leave. Furthermore, I didn't have much time to read about what they were up to and what they were fighting for. I soon found out.

The four points demanded by BERSIH for a clean / fair election :
1) Usage of Indellible Ink
2) Clean-up of Voters Registration
3) Abolish Postal Votes
4) Access to the Media

To my surprise, the traffic jam along Federal Highway towards KL started from the exit of Subang Jaya. In order to escape a more massive jam I turned into NKVE near Subang. Upon exiting the Damansara toll, I found that there was another traffic jam going towards KL along the Sprint highway. I was quite lucky that I could take a U-turn at the exit to Section 17 to my condominium in SS2. Little did I expect there were 40,000 peaceful demonstrators walking toward the Istana Negara.

Although I am not a sympathiser of the opposition and do not condone public disorder, I find it intriguing that the public actually came from all over the country to support the cause. They did so despite risking the onslaught of tear gas, water canons, being beaten and shoved around in the crowd. Not to mention the risk of being arrested and imprisoned.

The refusal of the establishment to acknowledge that the public is disgruntled with the inefficacies of the delivery system and the loss of faith in the election mechanism just shows utter disregard of the constitutional rights of the rakyat (the citizens). For the sake of our nation, our economy and our people, we need to address these issues rather than deny they exist and bury those who highlight these issues. Will anyone listen? Will the memorandom to the King have any effect? Do we have to resort to reading foreign news (CNN, BBC, Al-Jazeera) or blogs (e.g. Rocky's Bru, Screenshots, The People's Parliament, Malaysia Today) to get the truth?

Let's continue to pray for our beloved country, Malaysia and our leaders. Let's continue to do the right thing for our children and our children's children. To the big boys, just do the right thing for the nation and let us continue with our quiet and peaceful life.
Daulat Tuanku! (Long Live the King)Daulat Tuanku! Daulat Tuanku!

Link of interest:-
Memorandom to the King

No comments: