Google
 Subscribe in a readerAdd to Google Reader or HomepagePowered by FeedBurner

Monday, May 21, 2007

A field trip with Clarissa



I was called to go for the first match of the hockey team that I was assisting when Clarissa said that she wanted to follow. I said "Yes, you can come along" thinking that we would be back home soon. Mommy told me that she would not get used to the hot weather but she relented.

Clarissa climbed onto the Britax car-seat and we were off to the Pantai Hockey Stadium. She was thrilled when she went onto the Astroturf.

She had a broad smile and swung her arms while holding onto mine. She had never seen so many sweaty bodies clad in uniform jerseys. As we sat down behind the players of my team, she started with song. Sounded like she memorised the whole CD and I could catch the tune and some of the words. The players didn't shift their attention much as they were focused on the match.

Our English coach was very friendly and reached out to shake her hands but she withdrew and clung onto my shorts. To my surprise she started repeating some of the phrases the coach said as if she was being tested for mimicry.

She stood just in front of our bench and continued singing with a little jingle in between. The assistant team manager was amused at her antics and smiled. She again shied away but this time she left a smile.

At the end of the match, she was slightly dehydrated and sweaty despite drinking up from her favourite rubbermaid water bottle. She slumped into her car-seat and dozed off as we left the stadium.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tagged you on the meaning of your children's names. Check out my blog for details.

Dr Aston Ngai Seng Huey said...

Thanks. Will check it out!